USA LITHUANIAN COMMUNITY LISS PROGRAM
about our program
“Lithuanian International Student Services” (LISS) program is a program organized by the Lithuanian-American community for university students of Lithuanian descent in the United States of America and Canada.
LISS provides the opportunity for a 5-week summer internship in Lithuania according to your field of study and future career aspirations. LISS students intern 5 days a week, at least 6 hours a day at the place of their internship.
The LISS program is an intensive cultural program – students will travel throughout Lithuania, meet with inspiring working Lithuanians, and in the process, gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of their Lithuanian heritage. The students will also discover a creative and high-tech Lithuania, with visits to biomedical centers, laser companies, high-tech science centers, and during these visits, will be able to learn from business and science representatives in each of these fields.
Program participants who successfully complete their Lithuanian internship can add their valuable and diverse international work experience to their CV, as well as receive 5 university credits, as the Lithuanian-American community in the United States has partnered with select Lithuanian Universities: Vytautas Magnus University; Vilnius University; and Vilnius Gediminas Technical University.
The LISS program is funded by Lietuvių Fondas. The program is led by Romena Čiūtienė.
The LISS program invites Lithuanian-Americans and Lithuanian-Canadians who are undergraduate and graduate students (ages 18-26), to become a part of this program. To become a participant, one of the following requirements must be met: (1) the student previously participated in a Lithuanian Saturday school; (2) the student is an active member in the Lithuanian-American community; or (3) the student is a Lietuvių Fondo member.
The 2021 LISS program will take place from June 13, 2021 to July 18, 2021.
Registration for the program opens January 1, 2021 and closes April 18, 2021.
- Online Interviews will be conducted with all students who apply to the program.
- All students will be notified by e-mail on or before April 18, 2021, whether or not they have been accepted as participants in the LISS program.
- Students will be selected by the LISS Committee and the Internship Coordinator.
Students who have been admitted into the program will have until May 1, 2021, to submit their entry fee of $500 USD ($400 USD program fee and 100 USD registration fee. The Registration fee is non-refundable.)
- Students who have been admitted into the program will need to submit completed medical certificates and signed program contracts to the program coordinator at the postal address that is specified on the forms by May 1, 2021.
Internship placement is individually tailored to each student according to their field of study and interests.
- LISS students will be provided with: living accommodations in Vilnius, LT; travel accommodations throughout the program; several meetings and cultural events. The aforementioned will be paid for by the program. LISS students will be responsible for any other costs such as private meals, private trips that are not a part of the program, travel tickets, and any other expenditures.
- Curriculum Vitae – CV.
- A cover letter written in Lithuanian answering the question: “Why do you want to participate in the LISS program?”.
- Two letters of recommendation (one letter must be from a teacher and the other must be from a member of the Lithuanian-American community).
- Enrollment Verification from the University the student attends, and a list of courses/classes the student is planning to take, relevant to their major.
Each LISS student will be required to spend a minimum of six (6) hours per day at their internship.
Students who complete their internship will receive five (5) university credits from Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (vgtu.lt) or Vilnius University (vu.lt). It is the responsibility of the students to find out how their university will accept these credits and what forms need to be completed when coordinating their educational trip to their universities in the United States or Canada.
By clicking the button below you can donate your prefered amount to support our work by using PayPal.